Bell in association with Calor
In 1956, Bell’s were appointed a Calor Gas Dealer, operating initially from the company’s Gold Street premises. As sales increased and the business grew, it soon became impossible to operate from the limited space available and in Octover 1977, the Calor Gas operation moved to the Kingsthorpe site. In the early days, business tended to come from village areas without a mains gas supply. Sales increased in the mid 70’s with the advent of the National Electricity power cuts and A.Bell & Company was appointed a Main Dealer, responsible for distributing gas to various outlets. In particular, winter heating in factories and the use of Calor gas to operate forklift trucks developed into a major part of sales. This was enhanced in recent years by the increase in mobile food caravans, boats and canals and rivers, barbecues and local events such as the Northampton Balloon Festival held at Abington Park.